Located 10km south of Tarponville just above the Sixiola river mouth is the "Gondoca Lagoon". Surrounded by mangroves and coconut trees, Gondoca offers another option for anglers to catch baby tarpon, snook and snapper. This can be a great option if seas are high and the tarpon fishing is slow.
Gandoca lagoon is your best chance at catching a snook for those anglers that are working on there bucket list.
While fishing the lagoon take some time to fish the ocean side along the shore casting into the current breaks and seems of the waves.
8-10wt rods (same as permit set up) with a fast action for tight loops and strength to pull flies out of snagged mangroves. Mid to large arbor reels with reliable drag.
Lines (fly lines, backing)
A floating line matching the weight of rod. Intermediate sink tips can be added if more depth if needed. Backing should be of 25- 30 pound (heavier is fine) and a minimum length of 150 yards.
Tapered or straight leaders of 16-20lb test in 5-8ft length. Have tippet in 16lb, 20lb, and 30lb (20 and 30 pound for bite). Add a 12" bite section of 20-30lb for Tarpon and snook.
Accessories and other items
We fish the Lagoon either by boat, if there is access depending on water level, or by kayak. When fishing by kayak your items and yourself will be getting wet so a waterproof bag is recommended.
Other items to consider and have for our fishery and area
Line cutters, hook sharpener, pliers, sun protection, rain gear, hat, water proof boat bag/ fishing pack.
Below is a gallery of fly selections that will fish well in our lagoon.
Recommended Lagoon Gear
- 1x 8-10wt rods (if you have a backup bring it just in case)
- 1x Floating fly line to match the rod weight (bring back up if you have one)
- 5x Tappered leaders 16- 20lb
- Tippet/ leader material- 20lb, 30lb (20 and 30 for shock or bite tippet)
- Flies - 1x lagoon box (see above for specific flies patterns and suggestions)
- Boat bag/ Pack (water proof is preferred, keep your gear dry)
- Polarized sunglasses x 2
- Pliers/ line cutters/ Hook sharpeners
- long-sleeved UV protective shirts
- Quick dry pants/ shorts
- Sun buff/ face sheild/ sun gloves